mercredi 24 octobre 2007

My christmas knitting was stalled for a while. With school and work I had too many things to do already and christmas knitting seemed like just another thing that I HAD to do (granted its a self-imposed "I have to do this" but still). I'll admit it, I'm a selfish knitter. I like to knit for myself. I know what I want and I know how I want it. But I did manage to finish a pair of socks yesterday. I don't know who I'll give them to yet because they turned out slightly on the giant side. I could get away with saying they are house socks...we'll see.


My big summer project was a deer sweater which I knit out of good old Patons.
When you knit something, especially something time-consuming, you become very familiar with all the things that are wrong with it. I wore this out in public for the first time the other day. At first, I felt a bit self-conscious. I thought "man, the zipper is not sewn right, there are holes where some of the color changes, some of my weaved in ends are sticking out." But then, I realized that people were looking at it in a admiring way. And I started to feel pretty damn sexy. This sweater is flawed but most people probably can't tell that it is. Besides, that's how you know that its hand made. Plus I like my people and things to be flawed.




Speaking of things that are flawed, I found some socks that I made this summer. I haven't actually worn them yet because I still haven't weaved in ends. I think I mostly put them aside because I couldn't stand knowing how many holes were in them. But upon further examination, these are pretty awesome and mighty comfy. Miss B knows me well enough to know that this self-stripping Super Sox yarn was right up my alley. Not bad for my first pair of socks knit on small needles.





I've been spending a lot of time thinking about what I want out of life. Right now I'm pretty sure about what I don't want. As far as the wants go this is what I have so far:
- I would like to live on an alpaca farm. Perhaps have a few cashmere goats and sheep and train a pack of weiner dogs to be herders.
- I want to learn how to play the accordeon.
I know these sound like silly dreams but the more I think about them, the more they feel like life goals that could be accomplished if I set my mind to it.

I can think of no better way to end this post than by exhibiting yet another thing full of flawedness.
It is very hard to look sexy when trying to take a picture of yourself this early in the morning:

2 commentaires:

Miss Knit a dit…

Excellent! I've always wanted to have a friend who played the accordion. I love the deer sweater, I think you did a great job and you totally rock it. I too feel self-conscious when I wear my handknits in public too ("they know, they know that I changed the gauge and made the sleeves longer. . ."). My knits are sometimes wonky, but they suit me just fine.
Now back to those Grey Man Socks. . .

Miss Knit a dit…

Ther are some photos on Facebook of a girl wearing her versionof your Deer sweater - yours is by far the better of the two. No contest. Go check it out.